Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A New Sewing Table

Since I got my sewing machine, I have been using a card table to sew on. Not really an ideal set-up. It worked ok at first, but once my sewing skills started to improve and I collected more supplies, etc, I decided that it needed to be replaced by something bigger and better.
Here's what my sewing area looked like:


Pretty messy with zero storage space, and the table was not sturdy at all.

So began the craigslist search. I looked off and on for several months. It took me a long time because the space I had available was in a small weird corner. I was also really picky on how I wanted the desk to look. But finally, I found this beauty for only $50!!


Ok, so it wasn't really very pretty when I bought it, but I knew that it could be pretty with a little bit of TLC (and maybe a good harsh sanding).

I borrowed my dad's electric sander (lifesaver!) because I am not even kind of patient enough to sand something that big by hand, and bought some wood stain, sealer (to prevent scratches), new hardware and got to work. As I told you in the last post, its been a little busy around here so after it sat in my garage for about 3 weeks, I slowly worked on it during any free time I had over about a week and a half. But I finally finished and here's what it looks like!


bonus cubby

I stole a chair from the kitchen table til I find a good permanent one to keep up there

Looks sooo much better right?? I picked a really dark stain to hide the fact that its an older desk. Also, I just like dark wood colors.

I cannot even begin to describe how perfect this desk is! It is literally just the right dimensions for that corner without making the area feel cramped. Plus the drawers are huuuuuge so now I have tons of great storage space! 

Way to go craigslist!




2 comments:

  1. Holy moly that looks great. CL is seriously one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bonus Cubby" YESSSSS. I love those!

    ReplyDelete