Monday, January 23, 2012

Sewing Project #2

Yes, you read that correctly, I already finished another project! This one was a lot easier actually, and maybe should have been my first one? Oh well, its another one under my belt. So we have been tyring failing to get the dogs to sleep on the floor instead of on our bed. It sounds kinda mean, but we have been having some obedience issues with Gaius, and are just trying out anything we can to make sure that pecking order is very clear. Apparently, when a dog sleeps on your bed, well, he probably thinks that he is on equal level with humans. At least, that is what a trainer has told us. But I digress. The main point is that we bought some nice cushy dog beds for our dogs and put them on the floor hoping they would be an acceptable alternative to our bed. They are still my babies and I want them to be comfortable! Well, turns out that they kinda hate them, and I think it may be the micro-fiber covering that is too hot and doesn't feel good next to all their fur. So I went and got some clearance fabric that feels similar to our bedspread thinking it might make the beds more appealing. I just made pillow-cases for the beds to cover up the microfiber fabric. They are slightly sloppy if you look real close at the inside seams, but who looks at those anyways? I think they turned out good, and will be very easy to remove and wash when they get dirty. I did make a rookie mistake by not washing the fabric before I sewed the pillowcases Oh well, too late now. Hopefully they won't shrink too much when I do wash them.
The beds before 



Fancy top-stitching (excuse the shadow)
These really were very quick and easy to make. I took 1 Yard of each fabric, cut it in half, lined the 2 pieces up and sewed 3 sides together, leaving 1 of the short sides open. After I turned it inside-out, I folded the seams of the open side down into the pillow-case  and picked a fun stitch to sew it down and make my edges clean. I hope the pups like them better and actually start sleeping on them!

1 comment: