Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vacation part 2


The whole group and my favorite picture of the week 

After our oh so relaxing week in Michigan with the pups, we drove back to Texas, re-packed, left the dogs with aunt Julie and drove to Colorado. We stayed at Horn Creek family camp with Michael's sisters and their families. The elevation there is about 8,500 feet so it was gorgeous weather.

This camp is a pretty cool place. They have little cabins where individual families can stay and they serve you 3 hot meals per day and they do all the cleaning! At night, they had a little mini worship service with a speaker. Our speaker was from a church in roundrock which was pretty neat.

We had a ton of fun and did a lot of different activities. On site at the camp, we took small hikes with the kids, played on the water slides, and bowled at the activities center.

Braeden at the water slide


Horn creek peak
On Thursday, me, Michael, Ryan, Braeden, and Josh went on the big peak hike. The horn creek peak is at 14,000 feet elevation. We left at 6am for this hike. Now I would like to think that I am in decent shape (a belief based on the fact that I have been exercising regularly for about 2 months). However, I am in terrible shape for mountain climbing. This hike was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I am proud of the fact that I made it to the tree line and was able to see great views, but I will NEVER do that again. I had great ambitions of making it to the top, but turns out that there is basically no air at 12,500 feet elevation and I just couldn't get my breath to keep going. Michael was sweet (or tired) enough to wait at the tree line with me while the others attempted the peak.
view from the tree line


Tuesday was white water rafting! So so much fun. The only downside was me getting slammed against a rock and having a very nice bruise on my thigh. Totally worth it though. I loved those rapids.

Rafting group
On Wednesday, we all drove out to the Royal Gorge (about an hour away) and met Uncle Brian. The gorge is huuuuuuge and we got a ton of great pictures.



Needless to say, it was a really great vacation all around, and we really hated to come back to real life. I'll end with a couple of really cute pictures of the girls from this week, just in case you haven't looked at enough pictures yet ;) 







No comments:

Post a Comment